Prosecutorial Discretion: Why the Need for a Training Program?
- November 25, 2011
- Category: AIC, AILA, American Immigration Council, DHS, Enforcement, ICE, Immigration & Customs Enforcement, Morton, Prosecutorial Discretion
One might ask the question, why do we need a training program when the Director of Ice himself came out with clear guidelines on Prosecutorial Discretion in June? The answer to this question really goes to the culture at ICE.
Quoted In Online Wall Street Journal about Prosecutorial Discretion
- November 21, 2011
- Category: AIC, AILA, American Immigration Council, ICE, Immigration & Customs Enforcement, Prosecutorial Discretion
I had the privilege of being quoted by Miriam Jordan of the Wall Street Journal on November 18, 2011, in the online version about Prosecutorial Discretion.
Prosecutorial Discretion: Recent Advocacy Timeline
- November 17, 2011
- Category: DHS, Enforcement, ICE, Immigration & Customs Enforcement, Morton, Obama, Prosecutorial Discretion
The squeaky wheel gets the oil. That is probably the best way to summarize the recent timeline for the use of Prosecutorial Discretion.
Untangling DHS’ Record High Deportation Numbers
- October 20, 2011
- Category: American Immigration Council, Border Security, Comprehensive Immigration Reform, ICE, Parole in Place, Prosecutorial Discretion, Secure Communities
It was another record breaking year for deportations, with DHS logging 396,906 removals during Fiscal Year 2011. While the raw number is not in doubt, its meaning is far from clear, according to the American Immigration Council.
Task Force Submits Recommendations on DHS’s Secure Communities Program
- September 21, 2011
- Category: AIC, American Immigration Council, ICE, Morton, Secure Communities
After tensions reached a boiling point regarding the Secure Communities program in June, ICE Director John Morton created a 20-member task force to address growing concerns. This week, that task force submitted its final recommendations in a report to the Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC)
VOTER DISCONTENT DEEPENS–WHAT WILL OBAMA DO NEXT WITH IMMIGRATION?
- September 7, 2011
- Category: American Immigration Council, Comprehensive Immigration Reform, Hispanic, Obama
The Wall Street Journal (Link) reported that a recent poll has found that 51% of Americans disapprove of the job Mr. Obama is doing as president for the first time since his inauguration.
DHS REVIEW OF LOW PRIORITY CASES FOR PROSECUTORIAL DISCRETION
- September 1, 2011
- Category: AIC, American Immigration Council, DHS, Prosecutorial Discretion
The American Immigration Council (AIC) has released a Practice Advisory on the new DHS Prosecutorial Discretion policy. Here is my summary of that Practice Advisory